As many of you may already know, I have an anxiety disorder that I was diagnosed with in 2013 after having an anxiety attack one night and staying in the hospital overnight. I shared that experience with you all in an earlier blog post about a year and a half ago. If you want to read about what happened that night, just stroll through my previous blog posts and find the one about that experience. You all know that I have an anxiety disorder (generalized anxiety disorder), but what some of you may not know is that I do yoga 5 times a week to quell my symptoms and calm my mind. My doctor suggested that I try yoga or some kind of exercise to calm my body and mind after a long day shortly after I had my first anxiety attack. I decided to take his advice. I tried yoga, and I’ve loved it and done it ever since. Yoga helps me cope with my anxiety levels daily in many ways. In this post, I will highlight the ways that yoga helps me deal with anxiety.
1. Yoga helps me to slow down and practice breathing. The breathing exercises calm me quickly and help me to slow my breathing when I’m feeling overly stressed about something.
2. Yoga helps me to practice relaxation techniques and methods. Anxiety causes tension and stress. Yoga relieves tension for me.
3. Yoga helps me to practice meditation, and meditation helps me to slow down my anxious mind.
4. Yoga interrupts worry cycles. I tend to get stuck in my head, worry a lot, and overthink things often. Yoga helps me practice letting go of my worries.
5. Yoga reminds me to be kind and compassionate to myself and body. I’m very hard on myself, and sometimes I push my mind and body too hard without giving them the sustenance they need. Yoga reminds me to be good to myself and treat myself with love and care mentally, emotionally, and physically.
Now that I’ve told you about my health condition and how I deal with its symptoms, what are some disorders and conditions that you all have? How do you cope with them? Feel free to comment below. P.S. Adriene’s cool. I love doing yoga with her!
Happy August! 😊